The love that exists in friendship

All my life - or as much as I remember - I have always enjoyed the concept of having friends and maintaining genuine, long-lasting friendships. Unfortunately, it had always seemed like mere wishes and fantasies to me, for various reasons. Maintaining my friendships and keeping in touch was something I really struggled with. And it certainly did not help that I had to change locations and environments a little too frequently. Well, up until a few years back when everyone around me became more social media inclined. It made it easier to keep in touch and keep my friends. Of course, regardless, I have gained and lost friends over time but the solid ones have really stuck with me in the long run. 
However, at different points this year, I felt alone and "friendless". Not because I did not actually have friends but I  just was not feeling the love in my direction. I knew there were people who cared but in that brief moment, I had forgotten. So, I became so distant and closed off from everyone. My already poor communication was declining and I could see, but most times I did not feel the need to do anything. I would reach out once in a while for intentionality sake, but after that, it really was until the next full moon. 
Well, recently, something a little heart wrenching happened to me. And as sad as it is that it took an unfortunate event to remind me, the love that exists in all my friendships is immaculate. In the past week, I've really experienced the true beauty that is friendship. There is just something about the people that are around you at your worst. We've shared laughter and tears. We've prayed together, shared stories, and life experiences. Most of these, we've done while we're continents or countries or cities apart. Distance may seem to be a barrier at times, but in these technological times, there's only so little you can't do over the internet. All the good times I've shared with my friends these few days brought back memories and I can only wonder why I had thought in the first place that these people didn't care so much about me. 


It feels like these days people are more obsessed with being distant and cold that they don't fully realize the benefits of genuine friendship. It's beautiful to have people around you that you can share reciprocated love and trust with. And, it's not about the number of friends, it's about the substance of the friendship. Like they say, quality over quantity. It's also about the effort you put into maintaining them. Without effort and intentionality, most of the people around us just become familiar strangers. They become mere acquaintances or people with aligned interests or just relationships of utility and pleasure. And don't get me wrong, there's no issue with all of these. It's just that these types of relationships are fleeting and in the long run, one needs actual sustainable friendship - one that stands the test of time. 
In essence, all I'm saying is value your friendship and appreciate your friends. Put in more effort in keeping them. Because, at the end of the day, no person is an island. 

Stay blessed, don't stress. 

Nazam. 

Comments

  1. My entire Heart. Thank you soo much Baby girl for this beautiful message. There is definitely true love in friendship ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts